When considering how to approach the topic of branding, be sure that you tread carefully. Remember you are essentially in business. You are responsible for managing and promoting your products and services. This is your time and money that is on the table, so take time to think about how branding is more than a label for your work. Branding is the most important element necessary for any business. When we shop, we are influenced by branding, whether we know it or not. We may look for quality and style, but branding is always affecting our decisions. From buying a vehicle to purchasing clothing, even to your weekly grocery trip, branding is present in a big way.
Branding requires consideration of everything from:
- Choosing a company name to operate under
- Filing sales and income taxes for products and services sold
- Creating the door of credibility
- Opening further opportunities
- The possibility of branching off of your current business and/or setting up a completely new business
You must intentionally plan how all of this and more can tie together to become your total business presence, one that truly represents who you are and where you want to go – and to grow.
What is Branding?
- Many wantrepreneurs that do not already have a business will think of branding after their first product is released, but if you are thinking about creating products or launching a service, consider branding first.
- Remember that branding is how you represent your image to the world.
- Your logo, colors, tag line, and product graphics should all contribute to your brand.
- Branding is the glue that holds together everything business-oriented that you do and will do in the future. Think of food companies that branch out into toys, t-shirts, books, and other products when they originally started out just making cereal.
My Personal Branding Tips:
- Start with your favorite colors. Do you like calm colors like blues or greens? Are you sophisticated and prefer black, white, silver, and grey? Do you like neutrals with a splash of something bold like red? What fits your personality?
- Start with a logo, photograph, object, or even an element to represent your company, your books, your brand.
- Consider the psychology of color: how you look and feel effects how people “see” you.
- Your brand should be something you will be happy with for a long time, so think big! You will see it everywhere and it represents who you are and what your company is all about.
- Consider the feelings you want people to have when they see your products or marketing materials.
- Use your branding on everything you can: business cards, letterhead, envelopes, postcards, email announcements, your website, your blog, social media, signs on the side of your vehicle, bookmarks, labels, etc.
Remember, branding is not just a simple label you place on the back of your products. You get to decide how your company – is presented to the world. You have options, so take the time and consideration to decide. You are a creative, growing, living being – make sure your choice of brand can make the journey with you. Remember that your business is not just some childhood fantasy or dream finally come true. It is a catalyst for you to go to amazing heights, and branding is your best friend!
Want more info on branding? Click the banner below to enroll in my Signature Course: